Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Shepherd’s Notebook – April 28, 2009

The Good Shepherd Stays With The Sheep

Even when walking through the dark valley of death, I fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and staff comfort me. (From Ps 23)

Whether it’s during long nights tending mother ewes and baby lambs, or long days herding a flock of sheep that just won’t go where they need to go, every seasoned, sensible, serious shepherd knows this truth:

Really good shepherds pretty much live with the sheep.

Sometimes, they even talk to each other.

Today, we’ll listen in on a conversation between David, the shepherd boy who would become king of Israel, and one of his sheep. David is hearing a word from the Lord that he will pass on to God’s people: the 23rd psalm.

Imagine David sitting under a tree, talking to one of his sheep. Let’s listen in:

Lambchop, the Sheep: I don't know what is going to happen next in my life. I don't know where i will get my next meal. But you are my shepherd. I trust in you, David. I trust that you will provide for me. But, David, who does that for you?

David: the lord is my shepherd. I shall not want.

I wander around, looking for good grass and clear water. I am not very good at finding it. But even when I wander around, I know that you will lead me to the best pasture and the safest, sparkling streams. But, David, who does that for you?

God makes me lie down in green pastures. God leads me to still waters.

OK, David, here’s what really gets to me. I am not always good staying on the path or with the

rest of the flock. I don't always come when you call. But you bring me back to where I should be. And you still love me, even after I wander off. Who does that for you?

God leads me in the paths of righteousness, for his name. And God restores my soul.

+ + +

We’ll pick up on this conversation between the Shepherd-King David and the sheep when we meet again tomorrow.

Until then, would you please think about whoever shepherds you in Jesus’ name? It could be your pastor, your Sunday School teacher, your faithful prayer partner, your loving spouse … or anyone who shows you the grace and love of Jesus in their abiding, unconditional love and care for you.

Name these special persons in your prayers this day, and, with a note, e-mail or phone call, let them know that you’re praying for them. And invite them to listen in for the rest of this conversation tomorrow and Friday.

+ + +

The Shepherd’s Notebook with Pastor Cathi Braasch, Hope Ev. Lutheran Church, Smithfield NE, is being heard daily this week, April 26-30, 2010, on KUVR – 1380 AM Radio, Holdrege, NE.

Special thanks to Mike Poole, author of the drama Lambchop, which was adapted for insertion into this message. The original script appears at http://www.dramatix.org/archive/Children/Lampchop.html with a link to www.textweek.com

No comments: